Monday, October 21, 2013

What Will We Do With iPads?

What will you do with iPads? was one question that was asked last night that got me thinking.  Has anyone really said what students will specifically be doing with their iPad at this level. 

Each room will probably be a little different.  I can't guarantee that our room will do all of the same things that every other room does.  I can promise that the teachers will be having many discussions about how they are being used in their rooms.  We already share many ideas with each other and will continue to do so with how we are using the iPads.

My number one goal to start with is to do as many things on the iPad as possible that were done on paper before.  I want to try an eliminate some of our paper use.  I know I won't be able to completely, but we should be able to cut-back considerably.  I feel that attempting this is a great place for our class to start. 

My second goal is for students to use them to create.  I am a firm believer that creating and producing leads to better learning and deeper understanding.  Each week the students have the assignment to create a poster about the Reading Skill or the Grammar Skill for the week.  Look back through the Twitter feed to see some examples.  The iPad has a million different things that students could do to show they understand the skill rather than making a poster with markers and crayons. 

There will be many other things that students will use their iPads for.  These are my first two goals.  I feel that if we start small we will be better in the long run.  I encourage parents to ask their student each day what they did in school and also what they did with their iPad.  In the beginning it might not be much, but hopefully every day they say more and more things.

I would also like to take the time to thank the parents for their support during this exciting transition!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment